Read more »
- Colcom, part of Innscor Africa, is an established legacy brand, which for decades enjoyed a monopoly as the pork products producer of choice. With over 250 product lines, Colcom consistently exceeds US$100M in annual revenue.
- In recent years, the brand faced increasing competition from up-and-coming challenger brands, specifically in the bacon arena, and the company’s conservative approach to advertising and marketing led to major in-roads being made by these competitors.
- In a price-sensitive market, new players in the industry were cutting into Colcom’s market share, where retail fridge space was becoming cluttered with cheaper options for the consumer.
- Colcom was not playing to its strength in the sector, which is the exceptional and consistent quality of the product, where it was even identified by Colcom leadership that they had every reason to believe this product was the “best in the world”.
- The Board and Senior Management were more product than brand-focused, resulting in a decision-making vacuum with respect to the abundance of creative branding activities proposed by their creative agency. Colcom, needed to wake up from this state of paralysis and prove again why it was the market go-to for quality pork products, particularly through its flagship bacon line.